"Strengths include extent of knowledge and most notably the passion of individuals to get the deal done."Chambers UK, 2018
Sport: Get the Result You Want
At a glance
Our sport team is multitalented and multi-disciplined. We can help you create and profit from opportunities such as sponsorship and merchandising, negotiate your contracts, structure your tax, advise on planning and construction for your venue, protect your rights, maximise your event income and even sell your club. Think of us as skilful individuals who gel as a team and provide invaluable support.
Nick DavisChief Executive
Alex BarnesPartner, Head of Tax
Joanne KellyPartner, Head of Construction
Alastair MossPartner, Co-Head of Real Estate
David O’DwyerPartner, Real Estate
Stephen RavenscroftPartner, Head of Employment
Jonathan RileyPartner, CIPT
Carl RohslerPartner, Head of Commercial, IP and Technology
Craig JonesSenior Associate
Success in sport is about seeing and seizing opportunities. Being prepared. Having a thoroughly researched game plan.
We help our clients secure funds for stability and expansion, such as advising The Jockey Club on its corporate mini-bond, which raised several million pounds more than its target. And we’ve worked with similar clients on wider corporate, construction, commercial contracts, and intellectual property matters.
We regularly act for investors, so we’re able to introduce potential sponsors or owners to clubs, and draw up an agreement that’s a win for both sides.
As well as the specialists in our team, we can draw on the expertise in our other departments, from tax planning to dispute resolution, events management and promotions to digital media. You bring the fans; we’ll bring all the support you need to get the result you want.
- Advising the sellers of a Premiership football club to an overseas buyer.
- Advising on the procurement of a new 20,000 seater stadium for Brentford FC.
- Advising Surrey County Cricket Club on its corporate mini bond offer.
- Advising a number of football clubs in relation to the advertising of gambling.
- Advising on the establishment of a boxing-themed ‘high end’ gym in Central London. In addition to mainstream statutory matters, we advised our client on raising funds, tax matters, acquisition and fit out of the new premises and key commercial agreements.
- Advising Harlequin FC on the development and issue of the Harlequin FC Bond and the establishment of The Quarters’ Club which offers unique opportunities to applicants for the Harlequin FC Bond (and their nominees) to be involved with the club.
- Advising The Jockey Club on its £25m Jockey Club Racecourse Bond.
- Advising Bigballs Media on commercial contracts and IP work. In particular, we negotiated key commercial contracts with YouTube and other digital media platforms, including our client’s Copa90 and other digital media channels.
- Advising Lancashire County Cricket Club on their Cricket Club Bond and the non-cash element of interest paid in the form of Credit4Cricket Units.