"They understood our business and advised us in a way that respected what we wanted. They're approachable and absolutely get it commercially."Chambers and Partners, 2020
Tax is a necessity. Let’s make it a virtue.
At a glance
Your commercial decisions have tax implications; what you need are astute, clear-cut solutions. This is where we prove our worth. We will guide you through the maze of technicalities, with insight and focus, to arrive at the optimum outcome: making tax law work best for you.
Why do our clients value the Memery Crystal tax team? We understand the in-depth implications and complications of tax, but we won’t drown you in detail. We’ll give you straight-talking, clearly reasoned advice. It’s based not just on our own team’s expertise, but draws on all the specialist knowledge throughout Memery Crystal, making our solutions unusually well informed and effective.
We offer advice for FTSE and AIM listed companies, entrepreneurs and UK and international businesses on a wide spectrum of tax issues. From corporate and transactional taxes, double tax treaty issues, entrepreneur’s relief and employment tax issues, to UK residents with overseas income and non-UK residents with UK property and income.
What we don’t offer is anything formulaic. As you and your circumstances are unique, so is our approach.
With tax traps lurking around every corner, real estate transactions can be unnecessarily expensive if you don’t have the correct tax advice.
We understand real estate tax and offer practical solutions not problems.
Our real estate tax team advise on a wide range of transactions and related structures, including joint ventures, real estate funds and corporate real estate transactions.
Whether you are an occupier, investor or developer in the commercial or residential sector, we’ll give you intelligent, practicable, comprehensive advice to ensure you are not paying any tax you don’t need to.
Whether you are buying, selling, restructuring or investing you need tax advice.
The advice needn’t be complicated but it needs to be commercial, intelligent and robust to protect you from any unwanted tax liabilities.
We’ve considerable expertise of corporate matters including M&A transactions, reorganisations, equity investments and dealing with entrepreneurs.
We understand that nobody likes paying more tax than they have to and the Memery Crystal corporate tax team can help you minimise the tax leakage on your corporate transactions.
Managing tax liabilities and risks is fundamental to business. Our team of specialists can help avoid problems before they arise, or sort them out if they do.
Our contentious tax team acts for a diverse client base of high-net worth individuals, trusts and off-shore entities, owner-managed businesses and listed companies.
The team has litigated direct and indirect tax disputes in all forums and has particular experience in dealing with HMRC statutory enquiries and non-statutory investigations, including cross-border / multi-jurisdictional investigations.
The team boasts particular expertise in VAT and excise disputes.
- Advising AIM-listed client MedaPhor Group on a multitude of tax issues relating to a placing and the purchase of the entire issued share capital of Intelligent Ultrasound Limited (IUL).
- Advising on the sale of shares in a property joint venture where the underlying asset is a large office building in Euston.
- Advising on the structure of a fund designed to lend to UK-based real estate projects so as to reduce overall tax leakage in respect of funds loaned.
- Advising the board of Lombard Risk Management on the tax aspects of the recommended cash acquisition of Lombard Risk by Vermeg Group N.V. for around £50m, by way of scheme arrangement.
- Advising on various high value residential purchases in a very short timescale to meet the clients’ aims of completing prior to the increase of the SDLT rate.
- Advising on tax compliance issues and restructuring of assets in light of legal, tax and regulatory changes in France, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, and impending U.S. compliance requirements.
- Advising a multinational client in a Judicial Review of a long running tax investigation spanning 10 historic tax years and multiple taxes with the scope of HMRC’s powers of enquiry (Taxes Management Act 1970) at the centre of the challenge.
- Providing UK and co-ordinating overseas tax advice in connection with the investment into a significant UK-based student accommodation portfolio by a group of Middle East-based family offices.
- Advising on various tax matters relating to sales and purchases of companies owning real estate including corporate residence, ATED, SDLT and VAT.