"Complete understanding of our business and our needs."Legal 500, 2021
Data Protection and Privacy: Issues you can’t afford to ignore.
At a glance
Data protection has emerged as one of the most significant challenges facing modern business. Not only are companies more and more reliant on data, but the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has caused almost every business to rethink its relationships with customers and employees. You need to move data around your business, confident that you are acting lawfully and securely. If mishaps occur, you need your lawyers to guide you through the reporting process, helping you to reduce the impact to your business. Our team deals with data protection on a daily basis. Our clients call us, knowing that we have probably come across the issue before, and that we will give them a quick and pragmatic solution.
Our services include:
- Data protection query helplines
- Advising clients on the data protection issues of major projects, both UK and international, including in relation to customer and employee data. Drafting and negotiating data processor and transfer agreements, within and outside the EEA including co-ordinating data protection requirements in countries across Europe using our panel of data protection lawyers
- Data audits of the whole or just a part of your business. Our audits chart the data flows through the business, and include interviews of key individuals about business processes, and a review of relevant policies. The final report sets out areas of compliance and non-compliance, and a hierarchy of remedial steps
- Drafting and updating internal data-related policies, privacy policies, notices and data protection consents
- Working with clients through a mock data security breach, to test internal processes.
- Advising a global professional membership body with nearly 200,000 members on data protection matters.
- Advising on the GDPR compliance project for UK national charity with oversight of assets with value of over £6bn.
- Advising on the UK and US data privacy policies following the merger of two listed companies to create a new group with combined revenues of $1.4bn.
- Advising LG & DE, a world-leading provider of self-study and classroom-based language courses, in relation to a licence to use trademark goods in connection with digital learning tools and other published products and specifically on enforcement of the licence terms.
- Advising Seven Publishing Group in relation to their digital asset management system. Our team specifically advised on the process that employees should follow when checking the intellectual property rights allocated to each asset (photos and videos) stored on the system as well as drafting the terms and conditions for the use and access of the system.