"Quite a lot of the recruitment exercises we do are not only designed to test pure legal intelligence, but also a candidate's understanding of why the law is the way it is. If you understand why, you are able to explain the law in a business context."Head of Graduate Recruitment
How to Apply
Summer Assessment – August 2019
To apply for a Trainee Solicitor position to start in September 2020 and September 2021 via our summer recruitment process please see the timetable below.
- Application form goes live: 1 November 2018 (Click here to fill out the Memery Crystal application form)
- Application window closes: 31 July 2019
- 1st stage interview: Wednesday 7 August to Friday 9 August 2019
- Assessment Centre: Thursday 15 August and Wednesday 21 August 2019
- Final Partner interviews: Wednesday 28 August and Thursday 29 August 2019
- Start of Traineeship with Memery Crystal: September 2020 and September 2021
Open Evening – November 2019
To apply for a space on our Open Evening in November, which we will be hosting for candidates applying for a training contract to start in September 2022, please see below.
- Application process: Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter detailing (in no more than 250 words) why you would like the opportunity to attend our Open Evening. Please send this via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Closing date for applications: 24 October 2019
- Open Evening date: 21 November 2019
Vacation Scheme – Easter 2020
To apply for a space in our vacation scheme in Easter 2020 please see the timetable below. During the vacation scheme there will be an opportunity to secure a training contract starting in September 2022.
- Application form goes live: 1 November 2019
- Application window closes: 31 January 2020
- Vacation Scheme dates: April 2020 (each scheme lasts 5 days)
Summer Assessment – August 2020
To apply for a Trainee Solicitor position to start in September 2022 via our summer recruitment process please see the timetable below.
- Application form goes live: 1 November 2019
- Application window closes: 31 July 2020
- Interview and Assessment Centre: August 2020
- Start of Traineeship with Memery Crystal: September 2022
Please scroll down for a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the application process.
Where do I find the Application Form?
If you like what you have seen so far, and fulfil our minimum requirements, then in the first instance you need to complete our on-line application form. Click here to fill out the Memery Crystal application form. Once you have completed this, you will hear from us shortly after the closing date as to whether you have been selected for a first interview.
Do you have a Minimum Criteria?
Memery Crystal are looking to recruit high calibre candidates. We have set minimum criteria for potential applicants based on academic achievements: you should have gained very good results at GCSE or its equivalent, have no less than 320 UCAS points (or their equivalent) at one sitting and a 2:1 degree at university (or be on course for a 2:1 degree). We are looking for candidates who:
- Are commercially minded
- Are ambitious, driven and enthusiastic
- Demonstrate a willingness to take on responsibility.
Will Memery Crystal accept applications for those who gained a 2:2 at university?
We will only consider application forms with an overall 2:2 grade at university if there are mitigating circumstances.
Do you accept applications from candidates who need a work permit?
We do not currently have a sponsorship licence, so whilst you are welcome to apply, we would not be able to sponsor you through a training contract.
On average, how many applications do you receive each year?
On average we receive over 400 applications a year.
How many candidates are selected for interview?
Each application form is read by a member of HR and at least one Partner and fee-earner. We invite around 35 candidates to the first stage interview for both the vacation scheme and summer graduate recruitment.
What happens after the first interview?
Successful candidates will be invited back for an assessment centre with a mix of formal assessments, work shadowing with trainees and social events. The aim of the assessment centre is to find out as much as we can about you and for you to find out about us! This will be followed by a formal interview by two Partners.
Successful candidates will be invited to partake in our vacation scheme. Over the course of the 5 days you will take part in a group and individual exercise. For those who have successfully completed the tasks, you will be invited to attend a formal interview with Partners which will take place after the vacation scheme.
When will I find out if I have been offered a training contract?
During the summer recruitment process, offers will be made following the final Partner interviews at the end of August/ beginning of September. For the vacation scheme, offers will be made within two weeks of the final interview process with the Partners. But this isn’t goodbye until your start your training contract, we like to keep in contact with our future trainees and will invite you to our Christmas and Summer parties, giving you the opportunity to meet more of us before you become one of the team.
Will the firm pay for my LPC fees?
Yes, the firm sponsors both the GDL and LPC fees through the University of Law only.
I applied for a trainee contract last year, am I able to reapply this year?
Candidates may reapply if they feel that significant achievements in the past year have added to the strength of their application. Unfortunately if you have already been interviewed by Memery Crystal we will not be able to reconsider your application.