"We are extremely happy with the firm with respect to their expertise, speed and support."Chambers and Partners, 2020
Management Advisory: Balancing risk and reward
At a glance
We understand the critical role that management plays in successful sales of businesses to private equity backed buyers. An engaged and motivated management team helps maximise price and deal fulfilment for sellers and sets the right foundations for a frictionless and successful ongoing relationship with private equity buyers.
And yet too often, the management team do not receive timely, independent advice to help them understand the risks and potential rewards of their position, enabling them to engage confidently with the buyer and embrace the acquisition with eyes wide open.
Memery Crystal has a history of acting for motivated individuals, whether management teams, owner managers or entrepreneurs, on a variety of transactions. We take time to understand our client’s objectives and help them achieve these in a commercial and sensible manner. We have acted for management on a number of large and complex PE deals, providing expert legal and tax advice and an understanding of market practices and, as a partner led firm, we are ideally suited to advise and communicate with individual managers during the stressful run-up to bidding rounds. As well as dealing with legal issues for management (who may or may not have received financial advice), we have further expanded our offering in this area by teaming up with Fides Partners, a leading European law firm, with more than 15 years’ experience of advising management teams.
Fides Partners, based in Paris but operating all over western Europe and the Nordic region, are an independent law firm advising management teams on private equity backed LBOs and have built an enviable track record, working on some of Europe’s largest PE transactions. It is testament to their reputation and independence that whilst not acting for private equity sponsors, they are often recommended by them to give management value-enhancing, real world advice, based on their continually evolving knowledge of market trends which private equity can respect and engage with.
Crucially, by teaming up with Fides Partners we will be able to offer management not only focused tax and legal advice but also use Fides Partners’ expertise and proprietary software to advise on financial aspects and model bespoke investment and incentive packages which maximises management’s leverage on negotiation and return and reflects their appetite for risk.
We want to provide the best possible outcome for your team and our relationship with Fides Partners enables Memery Crystal to offer a one-stop shop for financial, legal and tax advice to UK management teams and help them achieve the results that they are searching for.
What can we do for you?
You are not only in charge of managing your company but also handling an uncertain and time-consuming sales process. As independent financial, legal and tax advisors, we can:
- Prepare a management focused term sheet as well as bespoke investment modelisation (both dealing with rollover, investment structure, nature of the management incentive plan, etc.);
- Protect and optimise your interests;
- Help you navigate the process and handle the negotiation and the implementation of your investment;
- Optimise your tax position; and
- Play a crucial role in deal fulfilment.
Our full-service offering enables us to draw on advice and support from colleagues across the firm to ensure that expertise is channeled into every deal. This includes specialist tax, share incentive and employment advice when it comes to structuring, planning, agreements and incentives.
- Advising certain members of management on their equity participation in Goldman Sachs-backed Riverstone Living (a £2bn luxury retirement living venture)
- Advising senior management on their equity participation in connection with one of the largest PE backed deals of 2020
- Advising the management of Waste Knot in securing investment by Gresham House to enable Waste Knot to build its first alternative fuel pelleting plant
- Advising the management of Walstead Group in connection with £33 million investment by Rutland Partners