"Carl Rohsler advises on gambling regulation and is praised by sources, who say that "he is a very switched-on lawyer who knows his way in the market. He is a true gentleman to work with but can be aggressive if need be." Rohsler has worked for an impressive list of clients on a range of mandates."Chambers Global, 2018
Gambling: Balanced judgement, inside knowledge
The development of the international gambling market continues unabated. As new regulatory challenges emerge, the industry continues to react with innovation and imagination. New forms of gambling evolve, jurisdictions develop and open up, and technological developments like cryptocurrencies have their first testing ground. The industry has always been at the vanguard of the internet revolution.
Our lawyers have pre-eminent expertise in the sector. The head of the team, Carl Rohsler has been listed in tier 1 of the Legal 500 for the last seven consecutive years, and is a well-known author and commentator. We sponsor and edit the Gambling Law Review, a comparative study of the gambling laws of more than 30 countries, now in its fourth edition.
Key players turn to us to for critical judgement calls on major commercial contracts, and to advise on the best approaches to defend against regulatory challenge. We have an intimate knowledge of the issues which concern regulators, and the best ways to deal with issues when problems arise. Our experience crosses international boundaries.
We provide a full range of legal services to the gambling industry. This includes licence application in the UK and other key jurisdictions, regulatory advice on new forms of gambling, dealing with disciplinary matters, commercial partnerships and new ventures, corporate transactions in the sector, and tax mitigation, as well as support in real estate and employment advice where needed. Our lawyers have advised some of the leading gambling operations in the world, including 888.com, Gala Leisure, Caesars, Pokerstars and the Health Lottery. We also advise financial institutions and governments on their approach to the gambling sector and its regulation.
- We have recently advised a major UK provider on the outsourcing of its remote gambling operation and single wallet systems.
- Our lawyers were responsible for the development of the Health Lottery, the largest private lottery scheme in the UK.
- We continue to advise on the prosecution of licence applications for operators coming to the UK market in the UK; We have also advised on licence applications in Gibraltar, Malta, Isle of Man and Alderney. We also assist with preparation for Gambling Commission audits.
- We frequently provide regulatory advice for those subject to review before the Gambling Commission, with specific expertise in the field of social responsibility policies, under-age gambling, AML and KYC procedures.
- Advising on commercial arrangements for gambling companies – white label arrangements, affiliate agreements, outsourcing agreements, joint ventures and IP licences, as well as IT, software licensing and payment arrangements.
- Advising on corporate matters for companies wishing to make acquisitions or to list on the public markets about the special risks associated with gambling businesses, including multi-jurisdictional opinions on legality of operation.
- Providing legal opinions for operators seeking to establish arrangements with advertisers, platforms and financial institutions, such as Google, Apple, Facebook, PayPal and major banks.
- Clearing the legality of new schemes, including non-gambling games, skill competitions promotions, and social gaming.