"Carl Rohsler – somebody who goes out of his way to achieve the best results for his clients. Highly regarded in the IP and Gaming/Gambling sector, he is somebody that you want on your side. A real thinker, Carl will go over and over various different scenarios in order to arrive at the right decision. It is that diligence and pride in his work that set him apart from others."Legal 500, 2021
Carl Rohsler is an experienced lawyer specialising in intellectual property (IP) work and known for his expertise in the field of gambling law.
Carl’s practice covers the full range of IP work, including patents, trademarks and designs, copyright and confidential information. Although working on both contentious and non-contentious matters, he is best known for his work as a litigator, having been involved in a number of leading IP cases since 1995.
Carl is also known as one of the UK’s leading experts on gambling law, acting for a number of the leading gambling operations in the UK and across the world. He has advised leading names such as 888.com, Pokerstars, Caesars Interactive, Gala and Cantor Gaming in his career.
Further, Carl also has considerable experience in advertising and marketing regulation, data protection, e-commerce and labelling and packaging law. He is also a visiting lecturer at the University of Montpellier, France.
Carl has been:
- Noted in the ‘Hall of Fame’ within The Legal 500 UK 2021 for Gaming and Betting.
- Listed in Chambers UK 2021 for Gaming.
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2020 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Gaming & Betting.
- Listed in Chambers UK 2020 for Gaming.
- Listed in Chambers UK 2019 for Gaming.
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2019 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Gaming & Betting.
- Listed in Chambers UK 2018 for Licensing: Gambling, London.
- Listed in Chambers Global 2017 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Gaming & Gambling.
- Listed in Chambers UK as a ‘Leading Individual’ from 2009-2017.
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2017 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Gaming & Betting.
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2017 for Intellectual Property.
- Advising on copyright and confidential information in relation to Process Components Limited v Kek-Gardner Limited, 2016.
- Advising on trademarks and infringement in relation to Enterprise Holdings, Inc v Europcar Group UK Ltd & Anor, 2015.
- Advising STV Group on regulatory issues related to a lottery scheme as part of a major fundraising event.
- Advising 888.com and PokerStars, the largest online casinos and poker houses in the world, in relation to a wide range of commercial and regulatory matters.
- Advising The Health Lottery Limited, the largest society lottery scheme in the UK.
- Advising Gala Leisure Limited and Gala Coral in relation to the outsourcing of their online operations.
- 2018 – Present: Partner, Head of Commercial, IP and Technology, Memery Crystal
- 2003 – 2018: Squire Patton Boggs
- 1993 – 2003: Norton Rose
- 1991 – 1993: College of Law, Chester
- 1988 – 1991: MA History, University of Oxford
What our clients think about us
“Carl Rohsler is very smart, quick to grasp problems and advise on sensible approaches to commercial solutions, Government consultations and conflict resolution. He is a true “one stop shop” for all gaming related matters.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler is a leader in his field and is very bright. He is able to give practical advice on complex issues, weighing the benefits against the risks.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler – somebody who goes out of his way to achieve the best results for his clients. Highly regarded in the IP and Gaming/Gambling sector, he is somebody that you want on your side. A real thinker, Carl will go over and over various different scenarios in order to arrive at the right decision. It is that diligence and pride in his work that set him apart from others.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler is a lottery and gaming specialist, working with us on the development of new gaming products; providing legal counsel on both legislative and regulatory matters and drafting and negotiating supplier agreements. As well as providing detailed and clear responses to our requests, Carl is extremely personable, engaging and accommodating.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler is extremely experienced and knowledgeable in his respective fields, and where needed he makes the extra effort to learn and research the necessary. He is straightforward, and focuses on what is best for the client and not just what the client thinks it needs. Available around the clock and works tirelessly.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler has always gone the extra mile, and knows when to reach out to others to complement his encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and practice. He is reliable, amenable, amicable, approachable and has a very robust but nuanced approach. My impression is that he always wants to do the best for a client and will apply a commercial gloss so that the end result is what the client wants. He is also very charming and has a good sense of humour. You can’t say that about many lawyers!” – Legal 500, 2021
“Carl Rohsler leads the group, and has been involved in a number of significant pieces of IP litigation over the years. He always has a unique viewpoint on problems and is a strong legal brain but is also tactically tough.” – Legal 500, 2021
“He is an absolute expert in his legal domain. He has an uncanny ability to deliver his counsel and advice in such an eloquent and clear manner that we can easily grasp and understand it without feeling lost in legal jargon. He is a true master at that.” – Chambers and Partners, 2021
“He’s very approachable, commercial and clear in his advice.” – Chambers and Partners, 2021
“Carl Rohsler has a charismatic personality with an encyclopaedic knowledge of gambling law and regulations.” – Legal 500, 2020