"They make you feel important and like you are number one."Chambers UK - 2016
Construction: Signed, sound and delivered
At a glance
Underpinning every successful construction project are well-drafted, pragmatic contracts. Producing a watertight, workable contract isn’t an art learned overnight, so you need a team that understands the pressures on the developer and the practices of the trade. We regularly produce construction documents for London developments from a £1 million refurbishment to a £200 million new build, with clients trusting us to deliver.
Construction contracts and appointments must balance the requirements of the developer and the demands of the contractor and the consultants. Naturally the developer will want the development completed in the shortest possible time and for best value, while each contractor will want to maximise the programme and their returns on each project.
Our skills are in maintaining that balance by creating contracts acceptable to all parties, whilst providing effective protection for our clients. We’ll consider typical risks such as exceeding deadlines and budgets, funding that may suddenly become uncertain, and market changes during construction that affect the development’s viability.
We understand and have in-depth knowledge of the construction business, with experience of Traditional, D&B, EPC procurement models, including JCT, NEC3, FIDIC and IChemE forms. We also work beyond the remit of commercial developments, for example on renewable energy projects in both the wind and AD sectors.
The most critical periods are at the start and end of the project. As well as preparing a good foundation with the construction documents at the outset, we also are experienced in contract management during the construction phase and disputes/disputes avoidance on extension of time claims, loss and expense, variations. We’ve built our reputation not just on producing sound, safe contracts, but also on seeing them through to successful delivery.
- Acted on the redevelopment of Sea Containers House.
- Acted for Brentford FC on the redevelopment of its Stadium.
- Acted for a storage company on development of its site.
- Acted for a datacentre owner on the construction of one of the largest datacentres in Europe.
- Acted for a waste to energy provider in the procurement of their depackaging plant.
- Acted for the largest Prime London Landlord on procurement of its portfolio in high end residential.
- Represented the purchasers of a 250,000 square feet property redevelopment site in London.
- Acted for housebuilder Randall Watts in the construction and sale of 250 new flats in the South East.
- Acted for a major contractor in the building of a new educational facility in Victoria.