"It is their individual levels of competence, their willingness and ability to work long hard hours whenever the situation demands, and the open and friendly way in which they continue to interact with their clients, no matter how large the challenge, that sets the Memery Crystal attorneys apart from the rest."Legal 500, 2020
Software: Are you software savvy?
Software inevitably has a significant influence throughout many businesses, and the way you interact with it has changed radically in the last few years. The emphasis has moved from software on physical media or local servers to increasingly sophisticated cloud-based solutions, including software as a service (SaaS).
These solutions have introduced new, highly beneficial ways of doing business, and inevitably, challenges as well as opportunities. We understand and can guide you through the technicalities, to help you make the most of the possibilities and opportunities.
We work with and advise clients who consume and provide a variety of software services. This includes advising in respect of software used in anything from enterprise solutions to consumer-focused apps, and ranges from using and integrating open source code to protecting and exploiting bespoke commercial algorithms.
We’ll ensure your software contracts, licenses, support and service level agreements all work for you, to protect your business efficiency and continuity. From ownership and rights to use, to liability and terminating agreements, we’ll explain the legal issues connected with software and give you practical, real world advice.
- Advising multinational software and IT business Micro Focus on its data protection policies in general as well as on the group’s telemarketing policies for compliance with both data protection and telemarketing legislation.
- Advising an NHS trust in a failed implementation of a new patient and clinical portal.
- Advising a number of multinational corporations which are threatened with claims by the large software houses such as Microsoft, SAP, Oracle and IBM who seek to audit and take action for alleged under-licensing.
- Advising three online social gaming and gambling businesses on their reverse takeover into Pursuit Dynamics and on the admission of the enlarged group to AIM under its new name, Gaming Realms, with an associated placing of shares. Our team has advised Gaming Realms on a number of matters since then including on the recent sale of a 70% interest in its casino marketing business and related technology to River iGaming, a Norwegian listed company.
- Advising open cloud business integration platform Maestrano on its admission to AIM and fundraising of £6m.