"Lesley Gregory provided very useful advice - a very experienced partner."Legal 500, 2020
As one of the few female chair at a UK law firm, Lesley Gregory has led Memery Crystal through several strong financial years, worked to expand the firm’s international offering and encourage an internal culture focused on diversity and core values – all while maintaining her top-rated corporate practice.
She specialises in capital markets work including flotations and secondary capital raisings. She acts for companies, nominated advisers and brokers and has acted for both UK and international companies from the US, Canada, South Africa and Australia including Petra Diamonds Limited and Gaming Realms Plc. Lesley also advises growth companies on alternative forms of raising finance, including retail corporate bonds for companies and clubs from Hotel Chocolat to the Jockey Club. In addition, she advises on acquisitions and disposals of public and private companies as well as on cross-border transactions.
Lesley enjoys the challenges of working with entrepreneurs and growth companies and has previously acted as a non-executive director or special advisor to both public and private companies.
Lesley has been a champion of the firm’s core values programme initiated in 2007, supporting policies and procedures to reinforce the firm’s emphasis on client care, professional development and a supportive workplace. Through her initiative, Memery Crystal became the first law firm to launch a Payroll Giving Scheme with Giveall, a HMRC approved platform enabling employees to donate to any UK charity through their salary on a monthly basis, commission free.
In her spare time Lesley enjoys running and playing tennis, having been an Oxford hockey and tennis blue.
- Advised on the merger of BDO LLP with Moore Stephens LLP to create the fifth largest accountancy and advisory firm in the UK
- Advising Petra Diamonds Limited on the issue of a $300 million high yield bond
- Advising Bond International Plc in connection with the sale of Strictly Education for £11.3 million
- Advising Harlequins in relation to their bond to raise approximately £5 million
- Advising Gaming Realms in relation to the acquisition of GameHouse US
- Advising Cenkos Securities Plc in its role as nomad and broker on a placing for AIM-listed company Science in Sport
- Advising Cenkos Securities Plc in its role as nomad and broker on a £34m fundraising for AIM-listed Restore Plc, in connection with Restore’s acquisition of the records management business of Wincanton Plc.
- Advised on the admission of Rainbow Rare Earths to the standard listing segment of the Official List and to trading on the Main Market of the LSE.
- 2016 – Present: Chairman, Memery Crystal
- 2010 – 2016: Chief Executive, Memery Crystal
- 1988 – 2010: Partner, Memery Crystal
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in United Kingdom 2021 for Corporate Finance Law.
- Shortlisted for the Women in Finance Awards 2020 ‘Legal Adviser of the Year’
- Highly commended for the Law Society’s ‘Women Solicitor of the Year’ Award.
- Ranked as an ‘Eminent Practitioner’ for Capital Markets:AIM in the Chambers UK 2020 rankings.
- Ranked as Band 1 for Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market in the Chambers UK 2020 rankings.
- Shortlisted for the Women of the Future’s ‘Mentor of the Year’ Award.
- Ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ for ‘Equity Capital Markets – Small Mid-Cap’ and ‘M&A: Small Deals, Up To £50m’ in the Legal 500 2020 rankings.
- Awarded ‘Legal Adviser of the Year’ at the 2019 Women in Finance Awards.
- Named in Legal 500’s Hall of Fame for Flotations: Small and Mid-Cap.
- Selected for a Lawyer Monthly – Women in Law 2017 Award in recognition of her outstanding legal expertise and contribution within the practice area of Alternative Investment Market Law.
- Awarded ‘Excellence in Flotation Law Services’ by Global Awards CorporateLiveWire 2017.
- Shortlisted in the 2017 ‘Woman Lawyer of the Year’ category in the Law Society Excellence Awards.
- Runner up for ‘Legal Business Woman of the Year’ in the 2014 Law Society Excellence Awards.
- One of 200 lawyers shortlisted for the 2013 edition of the UK Chambers 100, a ranking of the UK’s top business lawyers.
- Included on the ‘Hot 100’ list for 2012 by The Lawyer magazine.
- Named as a leading UK lawyer for Corporate Finance in the Best Lawyers directory in every year since 2012.
- Ranked as one of only three leading (Tier 1) lawyers in England for Capital Markets: Equity (Small-Mid Cap) in the PLC Cross-border Capital Market Handbook 2008/2009.
- Named a UK Legal Expert in Corporate, M&A, Capital Markets and Sport in the Legal Business ‘Legal Experts’ directory in every year since 2008.
What our clients think about us
“She is highly professional, knowledgeable and offers structured and reliable advice. She is always on hand to help and advise.” – Chambers and Partners, 2021
“Lesley Gregory provided very useful advice – a very experienced partner.” – Legal 500, 2020
“Lesley Gregory is highly experienced and offers excellent advice. Very professional and approachable and has helped our business a great deal.” – Legal 500, 2020
Lesley Gregory is known by one source to be “a fountain of knowledge and leading individual in the space.” – Chambers and Partners, 2019