"Joel Seager (partner) and Nick Mitchell (associate) make a good team and provide a blend of experience and quick comprehension of complex commercial issues."Legal 500, 2021
At a glance
Disputes are an inevitable consequence of carrying on business. The key to a successful outcome is setting a clearly defined strategy at the outset and proactively managing dispute resolution.
We understand that clients want clear advice on the strength of their position, a clear strategy based on their commercial goals and a roadmap on how they are going to get there.
Jenni JenkinsPartner, Dispute Resolution
Iain MacWhannellPartner, Dispute Resolution
Dean NichollsPartner, Dispute Resolution
Harvey RandsPartner, Dispute Resolution
Carl RohslerPartner, Head of Commercial, IP and Technology
Joel SeagerPartner, Dispute Resolution
Chris LouthSenior Associate
Charlotte TaylorSenior Associate
George JacksonSolicitor, Dispute Resolution
Hannah JonesSolicitor (New Zealand Qualified)
Memery Crystal’s award-winning team of Dispute Resolution lawyers were voted “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards and “Litigation Team of the Year” at the Lawyer Awards in 2014.
Our approach is always flexible as every case is different. But we pride ourselves on being tactically astute, not just excellent technical lawyers, so we can achieve the best possible results for our clients.
We act for clients in High Court litigation, as well as arbitration under the rules of various international bodies, such as LCIA, ICC, ICSID, AAA, LMAA and WIPO.
We handle all types of commercial disputes including: claims for breach of contract, negligence, fraud, company disputes, insolvency, defamation and intellectual property disputes. We also have extensive experience of seeking injunctions to freeze assets.
Within our department, we have specialist teams with particular expertise in the natural resources (energy and mining) and financial services sectors and international trade. In the last 10 years we have been involved in some of the highest profile cases in the oil & gas industry.
- Acting for Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited in its successful defence of a claim for damages of up to US$1.65bn in relation to four oil fields in Kurdistan. Initiated by a Delaware company supported by litigation funders, the case lasted over two and half years and culminated in a 57-day trial in the Commercial Court. In addition to finding in favour of Gulf on all issues, the Court awarded indemnity costs of £17.5 million. For its success, the team was awarded “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards 2014 and “Litigation Team of the Year” at The Lawyer Awards 2014.
- Acting for Idemitsu Petroleum UK Ltd., a subsidiary of Idemitsu Kosan, a Japanese worldwide energy company, in a dispute with BG Global in relation to operating expenditure of £105 million concerning adjoining oil fields in the North Sea.
- Advising a UK-based oil and gas exploration company with operations in India on the enforcement of an arbitration award against the Indian Government for US$50 million in the United States and London.
- Acting for an international copper-trading company in relation to proposed LCIA arbitration concerning failure of contractual counterparty to deliver goods complying with the contractual specifications. Value US $6 million.
- Acting for London Mining Plc in various claims concerning mining rights in Sierra Leone including a claim for royalties by previous mining lease owner and a claim against the Government of Sierra Leone in relation to expropriation of the company’s assets.
- Acting for a property developer in a dispute with a joint venture partner concerning profit share in respect of a £20 million property in Mayfair. Claims included unfair prejudice and breach of shareholders agreement. Successfully represented the client on an appeal to the Court of Appeal on a rare appeal concerning costs.
- Acting for an investment advisory company in a dispute with the administrator of a Saudi businessman concerning an estate valued at US $200 million.
- Acting for Chunya Gold Holdings Limited in claim for breach of warranty in connection with a sale and purchase agreement against Red Kite Pty Ltd regarding alleged non-disclosure of claim over assets by a third party.