"We have worked with Memery Crystal for years – their understanding of our business, strategy and advice have always been superb."Tony Peart, Commercial and Legal Director at Gulf Keystone Petroleum
At a glance
In employment issues, emotions are never far below the surface. Yet whether acting for employer or employee, we are careful always to remain commercial, objective and professional. Our team is highly respected for our approach and results; recognised as a leading firm for employment law by Chambers UK and by The Legal 500 for our work on behalf of both employers and senior executives.
We work with complex businesses and their senior executives. Our clients include listed and private companies including SMEs, and City firms – we’re familiar with the nuances of regulated businesses. We have close links with top law firms worldwide, so we can provide useful advice for our global clients or those looking to expand abroad.
For many of our clients, we provide the trusted legal support the HR Director relies on. We may be called in to advise on grievances and dismissals or act on litigious issues. Ideally, we’ll have the opportunity to negotiate and resolve first; we are frequently successful. We’re also active in advising and assisting with business acquisitions and sales; handling TUPE, assessing restrictive covenants, examining due diligence and putting new contracts in place.
Our work for senior executives can also involve contentious issues, such as discrimination or whistleblowing, negotiating settlements and helping protect their rights when they leave their roles.
As with all our clients, we find the time invested in getting to know you and your business is time well spent. It helps us to be perceptive, as well as personable.
- Devised the strategy and defence for a high court claim against a Plc following the dismissal of its Chief Executive.
- Advised on claims brought by a shareholder and director for disability discrimination and unfair prejudice.
- Provided comprehensive advice to an online estate agency in relation to dealing with competition issues when engaging employees who have moved from a competitor.
- Advised a City broking firm with a complex employment-related matter.
- Advised a whistleblower on the terms of his exit including a successful claim for pre- dismissal detriment.