"Memery Crystal LLP’s standalone property disputes team is led by Richard Evans and acts for Asda Stores, Deloitte and St Modwen Properties."The Legal 500 UK - 2016
Contact Richard Evans
Richard Evans is the Head of the Real Estate Litigation team at Memery Crystal. Richard advises leading UK property companies and retailers such as the Freshwater Group, St. Modwen Properties Plc and the Steinhoff Group as well as tenants, developers and investors of all kinds. His practice focuses on complex property disputes resulting out of the acquisition, development and management of commercial real estate. His experience includes acting for clients in disputes involving breach of covenant, rights of light, easements, construction, judicial review, 1954 Act lease renewals, rent reviews, noise nuisance, applications for consent to assign, trespass and real estate disputes with an insolvency aspect.
Richard has appeared in the leading Court of Appeal case on Section 62 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (Wood vs. Waddington) and has a broad range of High Court and Court of Appeal experience dealing with contractual and development disputes including claims for specific performance and injunctive relief. A significant part of Richard’s current practice involves advising both tenants and landlords in contested high value dilapidations disputes.
Richard has been recommended for his real estate litigation work in the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 UK, where he is described as being “meticulous and knowledgeable”, and previously in the 2013 and 2014 editions, where he was praised for giving “good practical advice”. He and his growing team are recognised as experienced, highly skilled litigators, mediators and arbitrators.
Richard is a member of:
- Property Litigation Association (PLA)
- RICS Dilapidations Forum
- Westminster Property Association (WPA)
- Leisure Property Forum (LPF)
Outside of the office, Richard is a keen runner and triathlete. He is a Harlequins season ticket holder and enjoys watching and playing most sports.
- Wood v Waddington  EWCA Civ 538 – obtained a successful judgment in the Court of Appeal acting for Mr & Mrs Wood, the appellants in a case involving a number of rights of way issues over a neighbour’s land.
- Ikbal v Sterling Law  EWHC 3291 (Ch) – acted for Mr Ikbal in a claim against a firm of solicitors acting on his behalf on the purchase of a property as to whether they were liable for a breach of trust and/or breaches of duty of care, after it failed to recognise that a property purchase was a fraudulent transaction, the result of which being that Mr Ikbal did not obtain legal title.
- Calvert v William Hill  EWCA Civ 888 – advised Mr Calvert on his claim against William Hill.
- 2004: Qualified
- 2010: Joined Memery Crystal as a Senior Associate
- 2012 – Present: Partner at Memery Crystal