"Mark Whelan takes a very hands-on role, making sure that he fully understands the desired commercial outcome from the outset."Legal 500, 2020
Contact Mark Whelan
Mark is a partner and Head of Dispute Resolution. Mark is recommended for Commercial Litigation in The Legal 500. He specialises in substantial multi-jurisdictional disputes, regularly acting for clients in the financial services sector. Mark’s clients include brokers, banks, hedge funds and insolvency practitioners.
- Instructed by Marex Financial Limited in a substantial claim for damages arising from the violation of our client’s rights under a Commercial Court judgment. The Defendant unsuccessfully challenged the jurisdiction of the English Court  EWHC 918 (Comm), an appeal on reflective loss was heard by the Court of Appeal  EWCA Civ 1468 and subsequently the Supreme Court in 2019.
- Instructed by Marex Financial Limited to defend a claim for damages in excess of USD$32 million for breach of delivery and title obligations under contracts for the sale of nickel, warehoused in Malaysia and the Republic of Korea  EWHC 2549 (Comm).
- Instructed by Medsted Associates Limited in connection with a substantial claim arising from the trading of financial products and breach of an introducer agreement. Our client succeeded on liability before the Commercial Court  EWHC 1815 (Comm). The judge’s decision to award nominal damages for reasons of public policy was unanimously overturned by the Court of Appeal  EWCA 83 with quantum to be assessed.
- Instructed by insolvency practitioners in relation to a substantial claim before the Commercial Court against Barclays Bank regarding the application of the Quincecare duty.
- Instructed to defend proceedings brought by a BVI liquidator before the US Bankruptcy Court Southern District of New York. This high profile claim concerned Chapter 15 recognition of foreign proceedings. The Judge dismissed the liquidator’s claim against our client and delivered a ruling significant for the offshore financial community (2016, Case No 14-10358(REG)).
- Instructed by an Australian Forex broker in connection with a claim before the Commercial Court following the announcement by the Swiss National Bank that it would no longer hold the Swiss Franc at a fixed exchange rate with the Euro. That event caused a subsequent, and significant, shock to the foreign exchange markets.
- Instructed by KPMG as the special administrators of MF Global UK Limited in connection with a claim under an introducing broker agreement for trading commissions. The issue of liability was heard by the Commercial Court and on appeal before the Court of Appeal  EWCA 1662 (CIV).
- Instructed by a London broker in a claim against two BVI companies, Cosmorex Limited and Creative Finance Limited. The case concerned our client’s forced closure of USD$850 million of cross currency pairs following the unprecedented volatility in Yen after the Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011. The case was successfully resolved in our client’s favour after a 9 day trial  EWHC 2155 (Comm).
- Instructed by the liquidator for an offshore hedge fund on a professional negligence claim arising from failed investments for damages in excess of USD$60 million ( EWHC 1801 (Comm)).
- Partner, Memery Crystal – October 2015 – Present
- Solicitor & Partner, Thomas Cooper LLP – 2008 to September 2015
What our clients think about us
“Mark Whelan takes a very hands-on role, making sure that he fully understands the desired commercial outcome from the outset.” Legal 500, 2020