"I find the firm very practical in advice and negotiations. They are personable and easy to work with."Chambers UK, 2019
Alex Barnes leads Memery Crystal’s tax group.
He advises on the tax implications of:
- a wide range of real estate transactions for occupiers, investors and developers (UK and offshore);
- a wide range of corporate transactions including M&A, reorganisations, tax reliefs and incentives for investors and tax efficient exit planning;
- finance matters, including withholding tax, double tax treaties and FATCA.
Alex’s role is to provide pragmatic, commercial solutions to client’s tax issues.
Alex is a regular contributor to Estates Gazette and Property Week.
Outside of work he likes a variety of sports, the theatre and reading.
- Advised on several corporate acquisitions and disposals for SIG plc, Jones Lang La Salle and Liverpool Victoria
- Advice on investor reliefs including EIS, SEIS, VCTs and entrepreneurs relief for several individual clients
- Advising HSBC, Chenavari and Deutsche/Hypo on finance transactions
- Advising Caudwell Properties, Mercer Real Estate Partners, Redevco UK Limited on large investment property acquisitions and disposals
- Advising on developments projects, collaboration agreements and property joint ventures for Henry Boot Developments plc, Hallam Land Management and Gazeley
- Advising on conversions of residential property to commercial property
- Advising offshore investors on tax structuring of inward investment into UK real estate
- Partner, Head of Tax, Memery Crystal
- 2011 – 2016: Partner, Irwin Mitchell LLP
- 1997 – 2011: Trained and Qualified, Eversheds LLP