"The firm provides the very best advice."Legal 500, 2020
Alex Barnes leads Memery Crystal’s tax group.
He advises on the tax implications of:
- a wide range of real estate transactions for occupiers, investors and developers (UK and offshore);
- a wide range of corporate transactions including M&A, reorganisations, tax reliefs and incentives for investors and tax efficient exit planning;
- finance matters, including withholding tax, double tax treaties and FATCA.
Alex’s role is to provide pragmatic, commercial solutions to client’s tax issues.
Alex is a regular contributor to Estates Gazette and Property Week.
Outside of work he likes a variety of sports, the theatre and reading.
- Advised on several corporate acquisitions and disposals for SIG plc, Jones Lang La Salle and Liverpool Victoria
- Advice on investor reliefs including EIS, SEIS, VCTs and entrepreneurs relief for several individual clients
- Advising HSBC, Chenavari and Deutsche/Hypo on finance transactions
- Advising Caudwell Properties, Mercer Real Estate Partners, Redevco UK Limited on large investment property acquisitions and disposals
- Advising on developments projects, collaboration agreements and property joint ventures for Henry Boot Developments plc, Hallam Land Management and Gazeley
- Advising on conversions of residential property to commercial property
- Advising offshore investors on tax structuring of inward investment into UK real estate
- Partner, Head of Tax, Memery Crystal
- 2011 – 2016: Partner, Irwin Mitchell LLP
- 1997 – 2011: Trained and Qualified, Eversheds LLP