"We have worked with Memery Crystal for years – their understanding of our business, strategy and advice have always been superb."Tony Peart, Commercial and Legal Director at Gulf Keystone Petroleum
Contact Ryan Lynch
Ryan is a senior associate in Memery Crystal’s Dispute Resolution team.
Ryan acts on a variety of commercial disputes, principally involving breach of contract, insolvency, defamation and shareholder claims. He has particular experience of acting for clients in the energy and natural resources sectors.
Ryan often represents clients in High Court proceedings and international arbitration and has extensive experience of alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation.
Ryan is a qualified solicitor advocate. He has higher rights of audience which allow him to appear on behalf of clients in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Ryan also regularly advises clients on compliance with the UK Bribery Act 2010.
Ryan believes that each dispute is unique and must be approached with a specific focus on the client’s commercial goals. He enjoys unpicking complex legal and factual issues to achieve the best possible outcome for his clients.
Ryan was a member of the team acting for Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited in its successful defence of a claim for damages of up to US$1.65bn in relation to four oil fields in Kurdistan. For its success, the team was awarded “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the 2014 Legal Business Awards and “Litigation Team of the Year” at the 2014 Lawyer Awards.
Outside of work, Ryan enjoys politics, astronomy and playing the piano.
- Acting for Idemitsu Petroleum UK Ltd., a subsidiary of Idemitsu Kosan, a Japanese worldwide energy company, in a dispute with BG Global in relation to operating expenditure of £105 million concerning adjoining oil fields in the North Sea.
- Advising a UK-based oil and gas exploration company with operations in India on the enforcement of an arbitration award against the Indian Government for US$50 million in the United States and London.
- Acting for an international copper-trading company in relation to proposed LCIA arbitration concerning failure of contractual counterparty to deliver goods which complied with the contractual specifications, valued at US$6 million.
- Acting for London Mining Plc in a claim by previous mining lease owner concerning mining rights in Sierra Leone.
- Acting for a property developer in a dispute with a joint venture partner concerning profit share in respect of a £20 million property in Mayfair. Claims included unfair prejudice and breach of a shareholders’ agreement. Successfully represented the client on an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for New Century Media Limited, a communications consultancy firm, in a successful High Court claim against a Russian oligarch for breach of contract.
- Acting for Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited against Spencer Freeman on an urgent application for an injunction in relation to defamatory publications online.
- Acting for various listed companies in relation to defamatory postings by online bloggers.
- Acting for a London-based property development company in a negligence claim worth £3.5 million against its former accountants concerning tax advice.
- Acting for an investment advisory company in a dispute with the administrator of the Estate of a Saudi businessman valued at US$200 million.
- Acting for Chunya Gold Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of Shanta Gold, in a claim against Red Kite Pty Ltd regarding alleged non-disclosure of a claim over the assets of a company acquired under a share purchase agreement.
- Corporate administrator at the Maitland Group – 2008-2009
- Trainee solicitor at Memery Crystal – 2009-2011
- Assistant solicitor at Memery Crystal – 2011-2014
- Associate solicitor at Memery Crystal – 2014 to date