"Memery Crystal LLP’s ‘responsive, technical and engaging’ team is led by the ‘excellent’ Merrill April, who focuses on contentious issues and is defending Gulfsands Petroleum in breach of contract and statutory claims brought by a former CEO. Stephen Milne is now a consultant."The Legal 500 UK - 2016
Contact Merrill April
Merrill April has headed the Employment team since 2000. She believes that an employment team should understand the businesses it is advising and work with enthusiasm and passion to find the best solutions.
This involves being interested in new cases and developments and thinking creatively about how these apply to our clients. To do this we work strongly as a team, sharing a sense of purpose and direction.
Long-term clients include Nord L/B, Real Estate Management Limited, Gemfields, Gulfsands Petroleum Plc and The Rethink Group.
Merrill is a regular speaker and has also appeared on Sky news talking about employment law issues.
She is Safeguarding Governor of one of the largest secondary schools in the country and acted as Treasurer for a local charity for 4 years. Having retired from running marathons for charity, she enjoys the gym.
- Devised the strategy and defence for a high court claim against a Plc following the dismissal of its Chief Executive.
- Advised on claims brought by a shareholder and director for disability discrimination and unfair prejudice.
- Provided comprehensive advice to an online estate agency in relation to dealing with competition issues when engaging employees who have moved from a competitor.
- Advised a City broking firm with a complex employment-related matter.
- Advised a whistleblower on the terms of his exit including a successful claim for pre- dismissal detriment.
- BA (Hons) Law at Durham University
- 1985 – 1987: Trainee at Beachcrofts
- 1987 – 1989: Solicitor at Stephenson Harwood LLP
- 1989 – 2000: Solicitor at Lawrence Graham LLP
- 2000 – present: Partner & Head of Employment at Memery Crystal LLP