"Most helpful in dealing with a range of delicate issues that encompass different cultures and legal systems."Chairman, Vantix Diagnostics
Contact Jonathan Riley
Jonathan Riley is a partner in our Commercial, Media & Technology team, handling commercial law and commercial contracts work. His focus is on project structuring, management and delivery, including shareholders’ agreements, joint ventures, partnering, collaborations, R&D contracts, outsourcing and service agreements, supply contracts, and terms of business.
He advises on sales and marketing, agency, distribution, licensing, franchising, sponsorship, merchandising, e-commerce, and related regulatory areas including data protection, anti-bribery, and consumer protection. He is also highly experienced in managing and exploiting intellectual property rights, particularly in the technology, brands and media sectors.
Jonathan has a strong international client base, with a particular focus on North America and Europe.
- Advising British Telecom on its six year £170 million network management services agreement with Redstone Telecom, and on its £40 million contact centre outsourcing arrangements across Europe with ClientLogic.
- Advising the British Olympic Association on its Joint Marketing Programme Agreement with the London Organising Committee for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Advising Marine Current Turbines on its contracts with EDF Energy for the collaborative development, funding and licensing of MCT’s patented tidal current technology and related IP rights and know-how, including the 1.2MW ‘SeaGen’ tidal energy turbine in Northern Ireland’s Strangford Lough.
- Advising Smart Voucher for many years on all legal aspects of its UKash voucher scheme.
- Advising The View From the Shard on all of its commercial contracts including the event contract for the launch of the Daft Punk album ‘Random Access Memories’ held at The Shard’s Viewing Gallery.
- Jonathan advised GATX Corporation on the construction of an aviation kerosene pipeline to supply jet fuel to Manchester International Airport, including negotiating the throughput agreement and storage terms with BP.
- Jonathan led the team which advised Clipper Windpower on its US$4 billion strategic alliance with BP Alternative Energy for a long-term turbine supply agreement for up to 900 2.5MW Liberty-class wind turbines and the joint development of five wind energy projects in the USA.
- Advising ‘Est Cola’ on its two-year sponsorship agreement with Manchester City FC. The deal included a range of partnership activation events, including a launch event in Bangkok, and an Est Cola TV advert with City players.
- Advising film actor Antonio Banderas on his product endorsement agreements with Nexus SmartPay, a biocryptology payments system. Handled all legal aspects of this transaction, including IP rights licensing, promotional activities, investment terms, and the multi-jurisdictional structuring of the relevant arrangements.
- Jonathan has advised the UK Direct Selling Association and many direct selling companies on UK sales and marketing laws, international expansion programs, and related legal matters for over 25 years.
- 1983 – 1986: Trainee Solicitor at Jacobsen Ridley
- 1986 – 1987: Assistant Solicitor at Knapp Fisher
- 1987 – 1993: Assistant Solicitor at Lawrence Graham LLP
- 1993 – 2014: Partner at Lawrence Graham LLP
- 2014 – 2016: Partner at Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co
- 2016: Partner at Gowling WLG (UK) LLP
- 2016 – present: Partner at Memery Crystal