"Memery Crystal LLP is predominantly known for energy disputes. Jane Marsden is recommended alongside ... Harvey Rands, who handles financial services cases; and Mark Whelan, who acts in financial products-related claims. "The Legal 500 UK - 2016
Contact Jane Marsden
Jane Marsden is a highly experienced litigator who has been listed as a “Leading Individual” for dispute resolution in each edition of Chambers UK since 2009, where she is described by clients as “focused on the outcomes we are trying to achieve and the commercial goals” and someone who “cuts to the chase”. She has also been recommended for her experience in Dispute Resolution by the Legal 500 UK, where she is described as “personable and professional”.
Jane specialises in complex commercial disputes, has particular expertise in acting for companies in the energy sector as well as international trade.
Jane’s practice encompasses both High Court litigation and arbitration (LCIA, ICC, ICSID, LMAA). Jane also has extensive experience of alternative dispute resolution including mediation.
Jane also advises clients on UK Bribery Act issues.
Jane is fluent in French and Spanish.
In her spare time, Jane enjoys wine tasting, sailing, travel and films.
- Acting for Idemitsu Petroleum UK Ltd., a subsidiary of Idemitsu Kosan, a Japanese worldwide energy company, in a dispute with BG Global in relation to operating expenditure of £105 million concerning adjoining oil fields in the North Sea.
- Advising a UK-based oil and gas exploration company with operations in India on the enforcement of an arbitration award against the Indian Government for US$50 million in the United States and London.
- Acting for an international copper-trading company in relation to proposed LCIA arbitration concerning failure of contractual counterparty to deliver goods complying with the contractual specifications. Value US $6 million.
- Acting for London Mining Plc in various claims concerning mining rights in Sierra Leone including a claim for royalties by previous mining lease owner and a claim against the Government of Sierra Leone in relation to expropriation of the company’s assets.
- Acting for a property developer in a dispute with a joint venture partner concerning profit share in respect of a £20 million property in Mayfair. Claims included unfair prejudice and breach of shareholders agreement. Successfully represented the client on an appeal to the Court of Appeal on a rare appeal concerning costs.
- Acting for an investment advisory company in a dispute with the administrator of a Saudi businessman concerning an estate valued at US $200 million.
- Acting for Chunya Gold Holdings Limited in claim for breach of warranty in connection with a sale and purchase agreement against Red Kite Pty Ltd regarding alleged non-disclosure of claim over assets by a third party.
- Trained and worked at Linklaters before joining Memery Crystal.