"Memery Crystal LLP is predominantly known for its work for clients in the oil and gas and mining sectors; and the practice has a longstanding reputation for dealing with financial services and regulatory disputes. Jane Marsden is dispute resolution head, Harvey Rands ‘has enormous knowledge and experience’, and Mark Whelan is ‘particularly good’. "Legal 500, 2017
Contact Harvey Rands
Harvey Rands is a partner with the Dispute Resolution team, who specialises in litigation, arbitration and resolution of disputes by mediation and regulatory investigations or disciplinary proceedings. He has dealt with disputes in company, financial services, banking and commercial law and professional negligence. Harvey has dealt with investigations and disciplinary proceedings conducted by the Financial Conduct Authority, the London Stock Exchange and the Takeover Panel, and he has defended many prosecutions brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
Harvey is a CEDR approved mediator and has been named as a leader in his field for litigation/dispute resolution by Chambers UK for many years, which has praised him as “a big beast in the commercial litigation jungle, and he’s got a good instinct”. He has also been recommended in The Legal 500 UK as a commercial litigation lawyer who “demystifies legal issues”. Harvey led the Memery Crystal team awarded “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the 2014 Legal Business Awards and “Litigation Team of the Year” at the 2014 Lawyer Awards.
Outside work, Harvey is Chairman of trustees of a school in North London and is a trustee of North Kensington Law Centre.
- Currently opposing an appeal by funders to the Court of Appeal against an award of indemnity costs of £17.5m following the successful 57 day trial in the Commercial Court on behalf of Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited.
- Currently pursuing a claim against Jersey fiduciaries in a €40m claim on behalf of liquidators financed by a hedge fund.
- Currently defending a claim brought by discretionary beneficiaries of a Guernsey trust seeking restoration of £40m to a trust fund.
- Successfully defended Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited and others in a 57 day trial in the Commercial Court in relation to a claim for Kurdish oil assets valued at more than US$1.65 billion (“Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” – 2014 Legal Business Awards) (“Litigation Team of the Year” – 2014 The Lawyer Awards).
- Acting for a well-known entrepreneur defending a claim for an alleged joint venture in respect of sale of 37 Thistle Hotels valued in excess of £100 million.
- Acting for a director of a listed company in a claim for £25 million for breach of fiduciary duty.
- 1978: Joined Memery Crystal at its foundation
- 1980: Became a partner at Memery Crystal