Memery Crystal Announces Formation of Africa Desk
Memery Crystal LLP is pleased to announce the formation of its Africa Desk, offering a multi-disciplinary range of high quality legal services to clients with interests in Africa.
Memery Crystal has already established itself as one of the leading Africa-focused UK firms, having transacted in over 35 African countries including Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Click here for a map of countries in which we have transacted.
Our experience includes a range of legal services, including corporate finance, M&A, project finance and dispute resolution, and we have a particular expertise in a number of key sectors, such as mining and minerals, oil and gas, agriculture, commodities, property and banking and finance.
Our team has acted on at least 16 IPOs and helped our clients raise over £1 billion for Africa-focused businesses. We have also handled complex international arbitrations and litigation, with a particular expertise in acting against African governments and government-owned entities.
Our wealth of African experience provides us with a unique understanding of how business is done in different jurisdictions, and we are used to dealing with the difficulties arising in emerging market transactions and disputes. We have built strong relationships with competent and dependable law firms acrossAfrica, including the Lex Africa network of leading firms in 27 countries, providing access to the best possible local resources to our clients.
Recent matters we have handled include:
• Acting for Petra Diamonds Limited on over £300 million in fundraisings on AIM, as well as on its move from AIM to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange. Petra Diamonds is a leading independent diamond mining group with assets in Botswana, South Africa and Tanzania.
• Acting for New Dawn Mining Corp., a Zimbabwe-focused gold exploration and production company, on its acquisition of Central African Gold Plc.
• Acting for management on its acquisition of the controlling stake in Dormans Coffee Group, Kenya’s leading coffee roaster and exporter.
• Acting for Shanta Gold Limited, a gold development company with operations in Tanzania, on a series of equity fundraisings of US$20 million, £15.1 million and US$35 million, as well as a debt facility of US$15 million with FBN Bank.
• Advising Beacon Hill Resources Plc on the £53 million debt and equity funding of its acquisition of the Minas Moatize coal mine in Mozambique, and a coal marketing and US$20 million loan arrangement with Vitol SA.
• Acting for Chariot Oil & Gas Limited, an oil and gas exploration company with assets in Namibia, on its admission to AIM and a series of fundraisings valued at £45 million, £90 million and £30.8 million, respectively.
• Acting for Toro Gold Limited, a private gold exploration and development company with projects in Senegal, Guinea, Mali, Gabon, Central African Republic and Sudan, on a private placing.
• Acting for Nyota Minerals Limited, a mineral exploration and development company with projects in Burundi, Ethiopia and Swaziland, on its £21.58 million fundraising on AIM and ASX, as well as its acquisition of Minerva Resources Plc.
• Acting for ASX-listed Red Emperor Resources NL, a natural resources exploration company with oil and gas assets in Somalia, on its fast-track admission to AIM.
• Acting for an international mining company on a major ICSID arbitration claim against the Government of Sierra Leone for breach by the Government of its international treaty obligations under a Bilateral Investment Treaty between the UK and Sierra Leone governments.
• Advising a range of natural resources companies with assets in Africa on issues related to the Bribery Act 2010 and putting in place anti-bribery compliance policies and procedures.
Nick Davis, Partner and Head of the Africa Desk at Memery Crystal, commented: “Africa is one of the fastest growing markets in the world, and there are few if any UK law firms who can match the experience and range of legal services we offer Africa-focused clients, particularly in key sectors such as mining and oil and gas.”
Memery Crystal is an independent London law firm highly regarded for its commercial focus and partner-led service. The firm’s principal practice areas include corporate, dispute resolution, employment, family, intellectual property, real estate and tax. The firm is also recognised as a leader in a number of key industry sectors, including natural resources, financial services, education, technology and retail.